WBPCC urges Mamata for partial reduction of taxes
Kolkata: The West Bengal Pradesh Congress on Saturday urged the Mamata Banerjee government to consider partial reduction of taxes on petrol in the state to provide some relief to consumers affected by the recent hike in price.
"We request the state government to consider partial reduction of state taxes on petrol provide some relief to consumers for the present till the prevailing situation eases," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
Attributing the petrol price hike to the steep fall in rupee and international crude price, he also appealed to the Centre to take suitable measures to stablise the rupee and review the petrol price to explore the possibility of lowering it as done earlier.
"The situation requires resolute policy decisions and fiscal disciplines to sail over the crisis and not to compromise with development programmes for the poor and rural people," he said.
He urged the Centre not to increase the price of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas which could have a cascading effect.
Asking political parties to see reason and act more responsibly, Bhattacharya alleged that some of them were making populist protests without proper assessment of the situation creating a wrong perception in the mind of the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!