West Bengal: One dead, 67 injured in train collision
Kolkata: One person was killed while 67 others were injured Saturday night when a local train hit a train waiting at a platform in West Bengal`s Nadia district,
The head-on collision took place when the Shantipur-Sealdah local which was coming from the opposite direction hit the stationary Sealdah-Shantipur local train waiting at the number 2 platform of Phulia station.
Two coaches of Shantipur-Sealdah local and three coaches of the other train were derailed after the driver of the first train "disregarded" the red signal resulting in the collision, a railway spokesperson said.
An off-duty railway gateman Purnendu Mandal who was travelling in the other train was killed, officials said adding its driver is among the injured.
Only five of the 67 injured are now in local civil hospitals while the remaining were released after first-aid.
Two accident relief trains, one medical train and two lift cranes have been sent for relief and rescue operations.
When contacted, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told a news agency that an ex-gratia compensation of Rs five lakh will be given to the nearest kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for those injured.
Alleging that the Railway staff present at the station were negligent in performing their duty, agitated locals beat up cabin man Pradip Dey who had to be taken to a hospital later on.
It has been alleged by locals that he was working in an inebriated condition in the night leading to the accident. Railway officials, however, refused to comment on the matter.
Local MLA Ajoy De, senior railway officials including, East Central Railway general manager Varun Varthuar, reached the spot to monitor the rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand