13 militants killed in Nigeria
Lagos: Nigerian troops killed 13 Boko Haram militants and arrested 15 during a raid on their make-shift camp between two northeastern states that are suffering most from the Islamist group`s attacks, media reported.
Many terrorists have been arrested, while 13 of them died following a raid on their make-shift camp, Xinhua cited Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade as saying in a statement, adding that some of those escaping from an earlier raid have also been captured in Maiduguri and surrounding areas.
The offensive came after suspected Boka Haram militants shot or burned to death dozens of students at a boarding school in Yobe state.
Boko Haram, declared a terrorist organisation by Nigeria and the US, has said it is fighting to create an Islamic state in Nigeria`s mainly Muslim north.
It launched bouts of attacks in the country`s northeastern states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, claiming more than 400 lives in the past three months.
The insurgents have in the past targeted churches, security facilities, schools and villages, causing heavy civilian casualties.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in the three states last year in an attempt to curb the insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?