21st century belongs to Asia: Hillary Clinton
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said Asia will occupy the centrestage in strategic and economic affairs in the 21st century.
Hillary’s speech at the Asia Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) in Hawaii indicated that the western hemisphere’s influence in the world was rapidly waning, and the US was shifting its focus from Europe to Asia.
"It is becoming increasingly clear that the world`s strategic and economic centre of gravity will be the Asia-Pacific, from the Indian subcontinent to western shores of the Americas," the Independent quoted Hillary, as saying.
"One of the most important tasks of American statecraft over the next decade will be to lock in a substantially increased investment in this region," she added.
The speech indicated that the US would enhance trade with its neighbouring nations in the Pacific region.
US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner also echoed Hillary`s views.
"We are all directly affected by the crisis in Europe. But the economies gathered here are in a better position than most to take steps to strengthen growth in the face of these pressures," Geithner said.
Many economists in Hawaii believe that Europe`s crippling economy will stimulate China’s growth, which holds over three trillion dollar in foreign exchange reserves.
Hillary also warned China that the US had no intention of ceding ground to the latter, which overtook Japan as the world`s second most powerful economy in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read