33 Haitian migrants detained in Jamaica: Police
Kingston: Jamaican police say that 33 illegal migrants from Haiti have been intercepted off the island`s northeast coast.
Local fishermen alerted authorities after spotting a rickety boat carrying 20 men, four women and nine children off Jamaica`s Portland parish.
They were brought to shore by a coast guard ship yesterday evening. A few migrants needed assistance when disembarking.
Today, they were being housed at a Red Cross facility. Health and immigration officials were evaluating the migrants. Authorities say the illegal migrants were trying to get to the US.
Over the years, Jamaica has been a relatively rare stop for illegal migrants. But last month, another group of 25 Haitian migrants were detained after landing on a beach in the same Jamaican parish. They were sent back to Haiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics