33 Haitian migrants detained in Jamaica: Police
Kingston: Jamaican police say that 33 illegal migrants from Haiti have been intercepted off the island`s northeast coast.
Local fishermen alerted authorities after spotting a rickety boat carrying 20 men, four women and nine children off Jamaica`s Portland parish.
They were brought to shore by a coast guard ship yesterday evening. A few migrants needed assistance when disembarking.
Today, they were being housed at a Red Cross facility. Health and immigration officials were evaluating the migrants. Authorities say the illegal migrants were trying to get to the US.
Over the years, Jamaica has been a relatively rare stop for illegal migrants. But last month, another group of 25 Haitian migrants were detained after landing on a beach in the same Jamaican parish. They were sent back to Haiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location