33 Haitian migrants detained in Jamaica: Police
Kingston: Jamaican police say that 33 illegal migrants from Haiti have been intercepted off the island`s northeast coast.
Local fishermen alerted authorities after spotting a rickety boat carrying 20 men, four women and nine children off Jamaica`s Portland parish.
They were brought to shore by a coast guard ship yesterday evening. A few migrants needed assistance when disembarking.
Today, they were being housed at a Red Cross facility. Health and immigration officials were evaluating the migrants. Authorities say the illegal migrants were trying to get to the US.
Over the years, Jamaica has been a relatively rare stop for illegal migrants. But last month, another group of 25 Haitian migrants were detained after landing on a beach in the same Jamaican parish. They were sent back to Haiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble