33 Haitian migrants detained in Jamaica: Police
Kingston: Jamaican police say that 33 illegal migrants from Haiti have been intercepted off the island`s northeast coast.
Local fishermen alerted authorities after spotting a rickety boat carrying 20 men, four women and nine children off Jamaica`s Portland parish.
They were brought to shore by a coast guard ship yesterday evening. A few migrants needed assistance when disembarking.
Today, they were being housed at a Red Cross facility. Health and immigration officials were evaluating the migrants. Authorities say the illegal migrants were trying to get to the US.
Over the years, Jamaica has been a relatively rare stop for illegal migrants. But last month, another group of 25 Haitian migrants were detained after landing on a beach in the same Jamaican parish. They were sent back to Haiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations