4 killed in attack on Indian-owned ship in Nigeria
Abuja: Four persons were killed on Tuesday when a ship belonging to an Indian company was attacked by suspected pirates in Nigeria`s oil-rich southern Niger Delta region, sources said.
Two soldiers, a retired naval officer and captain of the going tugboat which ran into an ambush after setting sail from Warri in Delta State to Port Harcourt in Rivers State all in southern part of Nigeria, sources said.
The ship belongs to Sterling Global Services Limited, a venture of an India-based company called the Sandesara Group.
"The military men escorting Sterling Global Oil Resources Limited tugboat ran into an ambush mounted by suspected sea pirates along the Angiama-Etelibiri waterways of Sagbama Local Government area of Bayelsa state," the spokesman for the Joint Task Force (JTF), a military unit that polices the region against piracy, Lt Col Onyema Nwachukwu told a news agency.
Nwachukwu failed to confirm the death of the retired soldier and the ship captain and said three pirates were also wounded by soldiers who returned fire.
One inmate of the ship was also missing while two other soldiers sustained serious injuries during the shootout that followed, he added.
Nwachukwu could not give any reason for the attack because the boat and the escorting vessels were empty.
According to him, the military has sent five gunboats after the pirates and security has been heightened in Bayelsa state where the incident took place.
Two months ago, five Indians were abducted by heavily armed pirates who attacked the vessel, Medallion Marine, in which they were travelling on about 60 kilometres off the coast of oil rich Niger Delta and commercial capital, Lagos.
They were released a month after.
Attacks on ships are common in Nigeria oil rich region and in most cases the purpose is kidnapping for ransom while in some cases, oil theft could be the motive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings