5 killed, 6 wounded in sectarian clashes in Egypt
Cairo: Five people were killed and six others wounded when deadly clashes broke out between Muslims and Coptic Christians in north of Egyptian capital city of Cairo, a security source said on Saturday.
The clashes broke out on Friday night in Al-Khusus, a poor area in Qalyubia governorate, after a number of children drew a swastika on the walls of a religious institute to which a Muslim man objected, the source said.
The violence escalated into a gun battle with assault rifles between the Muslims and the Christians before security bodies brought the situation under control.
"Five people were killed in the clashes, including four Christians. In addition to this, six others were wounded, at least two of whom were suffering gunshot wounds," the source added.
Police arrested 15 people for allegedly inciting violence during the clashes, MENA quoted a source from the interior ministry as saying.
Security has been stepped up following the violence.
"The authorities are in complete control of the town," a security official said as the Qalubiya prosecution has started investigating the violence.
Christians form between six and 10 per cent of Egypt`s population of nearly 83 million people.
Since the revolution that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak in February 2011, the country`s Coptic Christians and Muslims have clashed on several occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city