8 die in heavy rains, floods on island of Dominica
Roseau: Officials in Dominica say that eight people have died in heavy rains and floods that have pelted the lush Caribbean island.
The government`s National Emergency Management Organization says that one of those who died is an 18-year-old college student. One man is reported missing.
Dozens of homes and at least two hotels have been evacuated because of flooding. Several roads have been closed by mudslides. Most of the damage has been just outside the capital, Roseau.
The storm came as the small island was crowded with holiday tourists. There has also been extensive flooding and landslides on the nearby island of St. Lucia, where police say a man died when a wall fell on him.
NEMO reported the deaths today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress