8 die in heavy rains, floods on island of Dominica
Roseau: Officials in Dominica say that eight people have died in heavy rains and floods that have pelted the lush Caribbean island.
The government`s National Emergency Management Organization says that one of those who died is an 18-year-old college student. One man is reported missing.
Dozens of homes and at least two hotels have been evacuated because of flooding. Several roads have been closed by mudslides. Most of the damage has been just outside the capital, Roseau.
The storm came as the small island was crowded with holiday tourists. There has also been extensive flooding and landslides on the nearby island of St. Lucia, where police say a man died when a wall fell on him.
NEMO reported the deaths today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH