85 kg cocaine worth $23 mn seized in Italy
Rome: About 85 kg of pure cocaine, worth around 17 million euros (about $23 million) in retail market, was seized Monday from an Italian port of Gioia Tauro, a media report said.
Police reportedly uncovered the illegal shipment following a series of crossed checks of suspicious containers at the port, one of Europe`s largest container ports located in Calabria region. The cocaine was hidden in two containers filled with wood coming from Chile, Xinhua reported.
Overall seizure of drugs in the port of Gioia Tauro, the largest terminal for the transshipment of the Mediterranean sea, amounts to as much as 945 kg of cocaine since the beginning of 2014, according to official figures.
Italian experts have said the port of Gioia Tauro is a fundamental crossroads for the international traffic of cocaine from Latin America destined to the European markets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore