85 kg cocaine worth $23 mn seized in Italy
Rome: About 85 kg of pure cocaine, worth around 17 million euros (about $23 million) in retail market, was seized Monday from an Italian port of Gioia Tauro, a media report said.
Police reportedly uncovered the illegal shipment following a series of crossed checks of suspicious containers at the port, one of Europe`s largest container ports located in Calabria region. The cocaine was hidden in two containers filled with wood coming from Chile, Xinhua reported.
Overall seizure of drugs in the port of Gioia Tauro, the largest terminal for the transshipment of the Mediterranean sea, amounts to as much as 945 kg of cocaine since the beginning of 2014, according to official figures.
Italian experts have said the port of Gioia Tauro is a fundamental crossroads for the international traffic of cocaine from Latin America destined to the European markets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews
- Colombia government, FARC rebels sign ceasefire
- Subramanian Swamy now raises questions on Arvind Kejriwal's admission into IIT
- No evidence against Mahesh Girri in NDMC officer murder: Police
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, three former CMs may lose NSG security cover: Report