85 kg cocaine worth $23 mn seized in Italy
Rome: About 85 kg of pure cocaine, worth around 17 million euros (about $23 million) in retail market, was seized Monday from an Italian port of Gioia Tauro, a media report said.
Police reportedly uncovered the illegal shipment following a series of crossed checks of suspicious containers at the port, one of Europe`s largest container ports located in Calabria region. The cocaine was hidden in two containers filled with wood coming from Chile, Xinhua reported.
Overall seizure of drugs in the port of Gioia Tauro, the largest terminal for the transshipment of the Mediterranean sea, amounts to as much as 945 kg of cocaine since the beginning of 2014, according to official figures.
Italian experts have said the port of Gioia Tauro is a fundamental crossroads for the international traffic of cocaine from Latin America destined to the European markets.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative