Al Qaeda calls for `Electronic Jihad` against US
Washington: In an indication that al Qaeda may turn to cyber-warfare against the US, a newly-revealed video urges the group’s followers to launch cyber attacks on Western targets.
US lawmakers have described the message as "alarming".
An al Qaeda operative, in the six-minute video, compares vulnerabilities in essential American computer networks to the flaws in aviation security before the September 11 attack, reported ABC News.
The video further calls upon Muslims "with expertise in this domain to target the websites and information systems of big companies and government agencies."
Obtained by the FBI in 2011, the video was released today by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.
"This is the clearest evidence we`ve seen that al Qaeda and other terrorist groups want to attack the cyber systems of our critical infrastructure," Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee chairman Joe Lieberman (Independent-Connecticut), said in a statement.
"Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula are focused on cyber warfare because it can be carried out, if you have somebody smart enough, at very little expense," Lieberman added.
"This video is troubling as it urges al Qaeda adherents to launch a cyber attack on America," said Senator Susan Collins, R-Maine, the ranking member on the committee. "It`s clear that al Qaeda is exploring all means to do us harm and this is evidence that our critical infrastructure is a target."
The senators said the Homeland Security Department took action against 100,000 cyber incidents in 2011. They said that there was a five-fold increase in the number of attacks aimed at industrial control systems.
"There has been a huge increase in the number of cyber attacks against our country in the last two years. It would be naive for us to think that Al Qaeda is not responsible for at least some of those attacks," Collins said.
Without getting into classified information, Lieberman confirmed that there has been a spike in cyber intrusions, which is believed to originate from Iran.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared