April summit should be last without Cuba: Chavez
Caracas: Venezuelan President
Hugo Chavez said he thinks a bloc of left-leaning nations should attend the upcoming Summit of the Americas despite
their opposition to Cuba`s exclusion.
Chavez said last night that he favors attending the April
14-15 summit in Colombia along with other leaders of the
Bolivarian Alliance, or ALBA, bloc, the state-run Venezuelan
News Agency reported.
"This will be the last so-called Summit of the Americas
without Cuba. The next one wouldn`t occur," Chavez said in a
phone call broadcast on state television.
He said a "good number of us" will advocate Cuba`s
inclusion at the next such gathering.
"No more summits without Cuba`s participation," Chavez
Chavez said he had discussed the matter with the leaders
of Argentina, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and Brazil.
In Brazil yesterday, Bolivian Foreign Minister David
Choquehuanca said ALBA member countries had yet to decide
whether to participate in the summit due to Cuba`s exclusion.
"We`re in the middle of discussing this issue. We think
we aren`t in times of exclusion. We`re in times of inclusion,"
Choquehuanca said after a meeting with Brazilian Foreign
Minister Antonio Patriota in Brasilia.
Members of the ALBA bloc demanded last month that Cuba be
included in the summit, but stopped short of threatening a
boycott while urging Colombia`s government to extend an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof