Arab identity in Jerusalem at risk: Qatar emir
Doha: Qatar`s ruler says the Arab identity in Jerusalem is threatened by Israeli expansion around the city claimed as capital by both Israel and Palestinians.
Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani urged an UN-backed investigation into Israeli settlements as well as Israeli actions in predominantly Arab districts in Jerusalem and surrounding areas captured by the Jewish state in 1967.
His remarks on Sunday opened a conference in the Gulf emirate`s capital Doha on Jerusalem.
The emir also pledged support for Palestinian reconciliation between rivals Hamas and the Palestinian Authority. Qatar hosted talks earlier this month that led to a Palestinian unity accord.
The conference comes after clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinian groups in a West Bank district adjacent to Jerusalem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai