Armenian emigration creates `women-only` villages
Vardadzor: There are no men to be
seen in the rural lanes of Vardzador as mother-of-four Susanna
Asatrian makes her way to the fields to thresh barley and
Her husband has left the country in search of work like
so many other men in remote, impoverished Armenian settlements, leaving them almost entirely populated by women
to symbolise the country`s depopulation problem.
"It`s a total matriarchate. We even joke that our
village`s name should be changed from `Canyon of Roses` to
`Canyon of Women`," said the 36-year-old
In the midst of the harvest season in Vardadzor, around
130 kilometres from the ex-Soviet state`s capital Yerevan,
women do the hard agricultural labour, prepare for the long
winter ahead and raise their children practically without male
"The children miss their father, but what can we do?"
In villages like this, women traditionally marry young
and their husbands often leave after their honeymoon to work
as migrant labourers, only returning for a couple of months
The men who remain are largely elderly.
More than a million people left Armenia in the years from
1988 to 2007, with around two-thirds of them relocating to
Russia, like Asatrian`s husband, leaving the small Caucasus
republic with a current population of 3.2 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan