As ties warm, EU parliament delegation visits Iran
Tehran: A European Parliament delegation has arrived in Iran, the first visit to Tehran by the EU`s legislative institution in more than six years.
Iran`s official IRNA news agency said today the eight-member delegation will stay until Wednesday. The delegation will meet Iranian lawmakers and officials, as well as dissident filmmaker Jafar Panahi and human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh who jointly won the European Parliament`s prestigious Sakharov prize in 2012.
The visit is a sign of warming ties in the wake of an interim deal reached in November in Geneva between the Islamic Republic and six world powers to ease some sanctions on Iran for a series of nuclear concessions.
The world powers fear Iran`s goal is to produce atomic weapons. Tehran says its program is solely for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- GoAir announces heavy Monsoon bonanza; fly as low as Rs 849
- ICSI CS foundation programme exam 2016 result to be declared today on June 29. Check icsi.examresults.net
- Jay Leno survives accident
- REVEALED: Why Kumar Sangakkara left Sachin Tendulkar out of his All Time XI
- Elvis Presley's guitarist Scotty Moore dies at 84