`Assad will suffer the fate of other criminals`
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will suffer the fate of other criminals when his regime falls, the interim leader of the opposition Syrian National Council said in an interview.
"If Assad falls without accepting his mistakes, his fate
will be the same as those of any other criminal," Burhan
Ghalioun told private Lebanese television network LBCI from
the French capital yesterday.
"Today he is a criminal. He is the principal person
responsible for the orders to kill and arrest tens of
thousands of Syrians," Ghalioun, who moved to Paris in 1978
and teaches sociology in a Paris university, added. "How can
he escape punishment?"
Syrian dissidents established the "national council" in
Istanbul on August 23 to coordinate the campaign to topple
Assad and formally formed a common front uniting all groups
that oppose his regime last week.
Yesterday the European Union welcomed its formation and
urged the world to do the same, as it readied new sanctions
against Assad`s regime.
"No Syrian ... would accept to talk with Assad or see him
as the representative of the Syrian people ... There will be
no compromise with this dictatorial regime," added Ghalioun.
"He must resign and get out of Syrians` life because he
has become a symbol of the destruction of the state."
"Enough blood, enough mistakes, enough crime, spare your
people," he said, addressing the embattled president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs