`Assad will suffer the fate of other criminals`
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will suffer the fate of other criminals when his regime falls, the interim leader of the opposition Syrian National Council said in an interview.
"If Assad falls without accepting his mistakes, his fate
will be the same as those of any other criminal," Burhan
Ghalioun told private Lebanese television network LBCI from
the French capital yesterday.
"Today he is a criminal. He is the principal person
responsible for the orders to kill and arrest tens of
thousands of Syrians," Ghalioun, who moved to Paris in 1978
and teaches sociology in a Paris university, added. "How can
he escape punishment?"
Syrian dissidents established the "national council" in
Istanbul on August 23 to coordinate the campaign to topple
Assad and formally formed a common front uniting all groups
that oppose his regime last week.
Yesterday the European Union welcomed its formation and
urged the world to do the same, as it readied new sanctions
against Assad`s regime.
"No Syrian ... would accept to talk with Assad or see him
as the representative of the Syrian people ... There will be
no compromise with this dictatorial regime," added Ghalioun.
"He must resign and get out of Syrians` life because he
has become a symbol of the destruction of the state."
"Enough blood, enough mistakes, enough crime, spare your
people," he said, addressing the embattled president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015