Assange’s ‘chronic lung ailment can worsen anytime`
Sydney: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has a lung condition that could get worse, the Ecuadorian Ambassador to London has said.
“He has a chronic lung condition that could worsen at any time,” Ambassador Ana Alban said.
Alban said Ecuador was ‘covering his medical expenses’ and arranging ‘regular medical check-ups,’ noting that Assange has been living "in a confined space" since seeking asylum 162 days ago to avoid extradition to Sweden on charges of rape and sexual assault.
She did not give further details on his health, the Age reports.
Ecuador granted Assange asylum on August 16, but Britain has refused to grant him safe passage out of the country, leaving the two governments in diplomatic deadlock and Assange stuck inside the embassy.
According to the report, Assange said in an interview published on September 30 that his health was "slowly deteriorating" in the embassy, adding that he had "a racking cough."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray