At least 11 killed during Mali military operation
Bamako: A presidential spokesman says at least 11 Malians were killed and over 60 injured after the country launched a military intervention to fight al Qaeda-linked rebels advancing on a crucial town.
In a communique read on state television late yesterday, Ousmane Sy, the secretary-general at the presidential palace said that the 11 were killed in the town of Konna, which the rebels took last Thursday, prompting France to authorize airstrikes to help Mali take back the territory.
The mayor of Konna, Sory Diakite, told The Associated Press today that at least three of the dead were children who drowned after they threw themselves into the river running alongside the town in an effort to escape the bombardments.
Others were killed inside their compounds, and in the street.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP