At least 11 killed during Mali military operation
Bamako: A presidential spokesman says at least 11 Malians were killed and over 60 injured after the country launched a military intervention to fight al Qaeda-linked rebels advancing on a crucial town.
In a communique read on state television late yesterday, Ousmane Sy, the secretary-general at the presidential palace said that the 11 were killed in the town of Konna, which the rebels took last Thursday, prompting France to authorize airstrikes to help Mali take back the territory.
The mayor of Konna, Sory Diakite, told The Associated Press today that at least three of the dead were children who drowned after they threw themselves into the river running alongside the town in an effort to escape the bombardments.
Others were killed inside their compounds, and in the street.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra