Australia activist escapes jail over mine hoax
Sydeny: An Australian anti-coal activist escaped jail Friday over a fake press release that temporarily wiped more than Aus$300 million (US$282 million) from the share price of mining company.
Jonathan Moylan was charged with contravening the Corporations Act by disseminating false information to the market about Whitehaven Coal in January 2013.
The New South Wales Supreme Court on Friday sentenced him to one year and eight months jail but he was released on a two-year good behaviour bond, a decision greeted with relief by Moylan who apologised to those he hurt.
"Nobody likes to affect people that they don`t intend to," the 26-year-old said.
Moylan, from the anti-coal mining group Front Line Action on Coal, allegedly sent a press release in January 2013 purporting to be from major lender ANZ Bank, claiming it had withdrawn Aus$1.2 billion in funding for Whitehaven`s flagship Maules Creek mine.
The hoax, which was reported by the media, saw Whitehaven`s share price tank 8.8 percent before a trading halt was called.
In sentencing, Justice David Davies said the anti-coal activist, who pleaded guilty, was "not a criminal in the classic sense" and not driven by personal profit.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) said confidence in the honesty and integrity of the financial markets was of the utmost importance.
"ASIC will not hesitate to enforce the law to ensure investors are protected and the integrity of the market is maintained," commissioner Cathie Armour said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks