Australia raises racism fears against Indian students in country
Sydney: Australia’s new race discrimination commissioner has said that she is concerned about international students working as cleaners being subjected to racism.
Many of the students are employed by subcontractors to work at the nation’s shopping malls, and Helen Szoke said that companies need to remember their obligations.
Speaking in Melbourne on Tuesday at the launch of a report into overseas students working as cleaners, Dr Szoke said they were vulnerable because they often don’t feel they are entitled to the same rights as Australian workers, news.com.au reports.
“To hear the extent of racism is a particular concern. Racism has such a damaging impact on people who are supposed to be welcomed into our country and making the most of being here,” she said.
According to the report, the report by Victorian TAFE International and United Voice, the cleaners’ union, said that unscrupulous subcontractors were subjecting international students to bullying, poor wages and extreme workloads.
"We know international students are subject to exploitation and discrimination. We know that other than those students from Europe and America, the others are very reluctant to report where they feel they are being exploited," Dr Szoke said.
"We want international students to understand their rights but we also want employers to understand their obligations," she added.
According to the report, she said that as well as the human cost to vulnerable students, there was also a reputation cost to Australia, as seen after the attacks on Indian students in Melbourne in 2009.
"I`m disturbed that the research shows that Indians are being subject to particularly adverse racist conditions,” she said.
"It means in this kind of culture of subcontracting, there hasn`t been enough of a light shone on how damaging racism is," she added.
She urged the Shopping Centre Council of Australia to help stamp out bullying and discrimination where their subcontractors are involved, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion