Austrian Muslims win fight over Lego’s `anti-Islamic` logo
London: Austria`s Turkish community has claimed a victory in its fight against Danish toy giant Lego.
The move comes after the firm agreed to withdraw a Star Wars toy set featuring a mosque-like building inhabited by an obese, hookah-smoking alien, following complaints that it was anti-Muslim.
Lego added the `Jabba`s Palace` play set to its Star Wars collection in 2012.
In January this year the set started to provoke outrage in Austria`s Islamic community after a Muslim father found that his sister had given one to his son as a present.
According to the Independent, the game, which is aimed at children aged from nine to 14, features Jabba the Hutt in his intergalactic lair.
Jabba, the slug-like villain who first appeared in the 1983 film Return of the Jedi, lives in a domed, oriental-looking building equipped with rockets and machine guns.
He also smokes a water pipe and keeps Princess Leia in chains for use as his personal slave.
According to the report, furious Muslim critics complained that the Lego set`s Asian and oriental figures were `deceitful and criminal` characters such as gun-runners, slave masters and terrorists.
Lego initially dug in its heels and refused the request. The company insisted the product was merely a faithful reproduction.
But then it emerged it had backed down and agreed to end its production from 2014 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues