Austrian Muslims win fight over Lego’s `anti-Islamic` logo
London: Austria`s Turkish community has claimed a victory in its fight against Danish toy giant Lego.
The move comes after the firm agreed to withdraw a Star Wars toy set featuring a mosque-like building inhabited by an obese, hookah-smoking alien, following complaints that it was anti-Muslim.
Lego added the `Jabba`s Palace` play set to its Star Wars collection in 2012.
In January this year the set started to provoke outrage in Austria`s Islamic community after a Muslim father found that his sister had given one to his son as a present.
According to the Independent, the game, which is aimed at children aged from nine to 14, features Jabba the Hutt in his intergalactic lair.
Jabba, the slug-like villain who first appeared in the 1983 film Return of the Jedi, lives in a domed, oriental-looking building equipped with rockets and machine guns.
He also smokes a water pipe and keeps Princess Leia in chains for use as his personal slave.
According to the report, furious Muslim critics complained that the Lego set`s Asian and oriental figures were `deceitful and criminal` characters such as gun-runners, slave masters and terrorists.
Lego initially dug in its heels and refused the request. The company insisted the product was merely a faithful reproduction.
But then it emerged it had backed down and agreed to end its production from 2014 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam