Austrian Muslims win fight over Lego’s `anti-Islamic` logo
London: Austria`s Turkish community has claimed a victory in its fight against Danish toy giant Lego.
The move comes after the firm agreed to withdraw a Star Wars toy set featuring a mosque-like building inhabited by an obese, hookah-smoking alien, following complaints that it was anti-Muslim.
Lego added the `Jabba`s Palace` play set to its Star Wars collection in 2012.
In January this year the set started to provoke outrage in Austria`s Islamic community after a Muslim father found that his sister had given one to his son as a present.
According to the Independent, the game, which is aimed at children aged from nine to 14, features Jabba the Hutt in his intergalactic lair.
Jabba, the slug-like villain who first appeared in the 1983 film Return of the Jedi, lives in a domed, oriental-looking building equipped with rockets and machine guns.
He also smokes a water pipe and keeps Princess Leia in chains for use as his personal slave.
According to the report, furious Muslim critics complained that the Lego set`s Asian and oriental figures were `deceitful and criminal` characters such as gun-runners, slave masters and terrorists.
Lego initially dug in its heels and refused the request. The company insisted the product was merely a faithful reproduction.
But then it emerged it had backed down and agreed to end its production from 2014 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened