Austrian Muslims win fight over Lego’s `anti-Islamic` logo
London: Austria`s Turkish community has claimed a victory in its fight against Danish toy giant Lego.
The move comes after the firm agreed to withdraw a Star Wars toy set featuring a mosque-like building inhabited by an obese, hookah-smoking alien, following complaints that it was anti-Muslim.
Lego added the `Jabba`s Palace` play set to its Star Wars collection in 2012.
In January this year the set started to provoke outrage in Austria`s Islamic community after a Muslim father found that his sister had given one to his son as a present.
According to the Independent, the game, which is aimed at children aged from nine to 14, features Jabba the Hutt in his intergalactic lair.
Jabba, the slug-like villain who first appeared in the 1983 film Return of the Jedi, lives in a domed, oriental-looking building equipped with rockets and machine guns.
He also smokes a water pipe and keeps Princess Leia in chains for use as his personal slave.
According to the report, furious Muslim critics complained that the Lego set`s Asian and oriental figures were `deceitful and criminal` characters such as gun-runners, slave masters and terrorists.
Lego initially dug in its heels and refused the request. The company insisted the product was merely a faithful reproduction.
But then it emerged it had backed down and agreed to end its production from 2014 onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli