Bahamas: 200 gallons of fuel spilled into ocean
Nassau (Bahamas): The Bahamas says just over 200 gallons (757 litres) of diesel spilled into the ocean during a refueling accident.
The owner of a salvage company has estimated that the Sunday spill near the main harbor in Grand Bahama was roughly 1,000 gallons (3,785 litres), but the government put their estimated figure lower yesterday.
Transport Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin told reporters that some 210 gallons (795 litres) of fuel splashed between a tanker and a barge during refueling at dawn Sunday. The spill went unnoticed for about a half hour.
Crews with the Bahamas Oil Refinery Company deployed teams to contain the mess. A clean up operation is ongoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage