Barack Obama nominates woman to lead Air Force
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Deborah Lee James, a defence industry executive and former assistant secretary of defence, to head the Air Force replacing Michael Donley, who stepped down in June after being in the job for five years.
The White House announced the nomination in a statement issued Thursday, in which Obama praised James by saying: "Deborah`s strong record of public service and leadership in the private sector makes her uniquely qualified to be my nominee for Secretary of the Air Force."
James is president of the technology and engineering sector at defence contractor Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC). She has been an executive with the company since 2004, reported Xinhua.
James also served as assistant secretary of defence for reserve affairs from 1993 to 1998.
If confirmed by the Senate, James would be one of the few women ever to serve as the senior civilian leader of an armed services branch.
James spent a decade as a staffer for the House Armed Services Committee before being confirmed as assistant secretary of defence for reserve affairs. She has held various positions during a 30-year career in government and the private sector, and serves on the Defence Department Advisory Committee on Women in the Services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark