Barack Obama nominates woman to lead Air Force
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Deborah Lee James, a defence industry executive and former assistant secretary of defence, to head the Air Force replacing Michael Donley, who stepped down in June after being in the job for five years.
The White House announced the nomination in a statement issued Thursday, in which Obama praised James by saying: "Deborah`s strong record of public service and leadership in the private sector makes her uniquely qualified to be my nominee for Secretary of the Air Force."
James is president of the technology and engineering sector at defence contractor Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC). She has been an executive with the company since 2004, reported Xinhua.
James also served as assistant secretary of defence for reserve affairs from 1993 to 1998.
If confirmed by the Senate, James would be one of the few women ever to serve as the senior civilian leader of an armed services branch.
James spent a decade as a staffer for the House Armed Services Committee before being confirmed as assistant secretary of defence for reserve affairs. She has held various positions during a 30-year career in government and the private sector, and serves on the Defence Department Advisory Committee on Women in the Services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read