Barack Obama officially wins Presidency
Washington: US President Barack Obama was officially declared winner of November presidential elections as votes of the electoral college were tallied and certified by a joint session of the Congress on Friday.
While Obama and Vice President Joe Biden received 332 Electoral College votes, the Republican candidate, Mitt Romney, and his running mate, Paul Ryan received 206 votes.
This was the formal culmination of the presidential election process.
After the November 6 presidential elections, member of the electoral colleges met in their respective States in December and voted for their candidates and sent the results to the US Congress.
The US Congress today in a joint session tallied those numbers and certified the results.
Since this was just a formality, not many Congressmen were present during the joint session.
In fact there were more people in the gallery than members of the Congress during the process which took about 30 minutes.
The joint session of the US Congress was presided over the Vice President Biden.
According to Politico, the ballots arrived in the House chamber in locked wooden boxes, held together with aged leather straps, that were proceeded in by student pages.
Staff used ceremonial letter openers to excise each form from its envelope, it said.
The numbers were read by Senators Chuck Schumer and Lamar Alexander; and Congressmen Candice Miller and Kevin Brady.
Biden read out the final results and declared that his announcement "shall be deemed a sufficient declaration of the persons elected president and vice president of the United States, each for the term beginning on the 20th day of January, 2013," The Hill reported.
According to Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies (JCCIC), this is the seventh time in US history that the constitutionally mandated Inauguration date has fallen on a Sunday.
The last time was for President Ronald Reagan`s second Inauguration in 1985. When this occurs, the public ceremonies traditionally are held on Monday.
In addition, January 21, 2013 is Martin Luther King, Jr Day. It will be the second time that this federal holiday has coincided with a Presidential Inauguration. The first was President Bill Clinton`s second Inauguration in 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM