Barack Obama to attend EU-US summit in Brussels: EU source
Brussels: US President Barack Obama will head to Brussels on March 26 to attend an EU-US summit.
The meeting is expected to give Obama the opportunity to mend ties with the 28-nation bloc, after tensions over revelations that Washington had carried out widespread spying -- including on its key European allies, a European source told.
Leaders at the summit are also expected to discuss negotiations between the two parties towards creating the world`s largest free-trade area to boost growth and jobs in their huge economies.
The EU estimates the free trade deal would bring annual benefits of 119 billion euros (USD 163 billion) for the bloc`s 500 million people, and only slightly less for the United States.
US and EU leaders have set their sights on completing an agreement by late 2014.
At the height of the outrage over Washington`s mass spying scandal, there were fears that negotiations on the free trade deal could be derailed.
Obama yesterday curtailed massive National Security Agency phone surveillance sweeps in a speech intended to quell the furore over Washington`s spy programmes leaked by Edward Snowden.
Before travelling to Brussels, he is due to head to The Hague, where he is expected to attend a summit on nuclear security scheduled for March 24 and 25.
The White House said this week that Obama will meet Pope Francis "in the near future," although it did not specify a date for their much-anticipated first encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city