Boeing in deal to provide plane parts to Iran
Washington: Boeing has struck a deal with Iran Air to provide plane parts, the first time the US firm will be doing business with Iran since the US embargo of 1979.
According to a regulatory filing published yesterday, Boeing will supply goods and services "related to the safety of flight" to Iran Air, the country`s flag carrier.
The filing says that the agreement, reached in the second quarter, includes the provision of airplane parts, manuals, navigation charts and data to the airline, in line with the US company`s recommendations to customers for such things as an aircraft modification, a parts replacement or inspection.
Boeing also reported it had discussions with the flag carrier`s subsidiary, Iran Air Tours, on the potential sale of similar goods and services.
The Chicago-based company said that it had generated no gross revenues or net profits during the second quarter in relation with those activities.
In April, the US government issued a license allowing Boeing, for a "limited period of time," to provide "spare parts that are for safety purposes" to Iran. Boeing is still not allowed to sell new planes to Iran.
The license was granted by the US Treasury Department in the context of an interim deal between world powers and Iran over its nuclear program signed in November.
In late February, another US company, General Electric, indicated it had requested permission to sell spare airliner parts to Iran.
Washington severed diplomatic relations with Iran in the aftermath of the 1979 Islamic revolution.
The United States and European nations have imposed severe economic sanctions on Iran in recent years aiming to pressure Tehran to dramatically reduce its nuclear program for a lengthy period of time to keep it from developing nuclear weapons.
Iran has steadfastly insisted its nuclear program is for civilian purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read