Bomb blasts at mosque, funeral procession rock Iraq; 49 dead, 82 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Baquba: At least 49 people were killed and many others were injured when two bombs went off near a Sunni mosque and another blast ripped through a Sunni funeral procession here on Friday, security officials said.
The blasts took place after two days of attacks against Shiites that killed dozens of people.
In one of the attacks, the blast took place as soon as people were departing after the Friday prayers from a Saria mosque at Baquba area, north of Baghdad, while the second bomb was detonated after people gathered at the scene of the first blast, killing at least 41 people and injuring 57, police and a doctor said.
In an another incident, a roadside bomb exploded near a funeral procession for a Sunni man in Madain, south of Baghdad which killed at least eight people and wounded more than 25, security and medical officials said.
The bombings are the latest in a series of attacks that have targeted both Sunni and Shiite places of worship in the past few weeks and come after two days of assaults against Shiite targets.
Yesterday, a suicide bomber killed 12 people at the entrance of Al-Zahraa Husseiniyah, a Shiite place of worship in the city of Kirkuk, where relatives of victims from violence the day before were receiving condolences. Unidentified gunmen had also shot dead the brother of a Sunni MP in Baghdad.
Also in another incident car bombs hit three Shiite-majority areas of Baghdad killing 10 people, while 21 people died in a series of bombings that mainly hit Shiite areas of the capital the day before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?