Boston blasts a warning for Olympics: Russia
Moscow: The twin blasts that killed three people and injured scores at the Boston marathon are a warning for Russia as it prepares to host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, the sports minister said on Tuesday.
"For Russia, which will have to soon stage a number of major sporting events, this is a serious warning bell," RIA Novosti quoted Vitaly Mutko as saying.
Besides the 2014 event in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, Russia will also host the University Games in Kazan later this year, as well as the 2018 Football World Cup.
The Sochi Games will be staged on the edge of the restless North Caucasus, where Russia waged two post-Soviet wars in Chechnya, and where violence is prevalent in nearby Dagestan.
Mutko said Russia was "very worried" about security at all the sporting events.
"We will be devoting special attention to it," he said.
Separately, the Kremlin said that Russian leader Vladimir Putin sent US President Barack Obama a message of condolences in which he condemned "this barbaric crime."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata