Bribes are necessary part of doing business globally: Silvio Berlusconi
London: Defending Finmeccanica SpA`s jailed ex-chief executive officer Giuseppe Orsi, Italy`s three-time former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi on Thursday said bribes are a necessary part of doing business globally.
"Bribes are a phenomenon that exists and it`s useless to deny the existence of these necessary situations," Berlusconi said in a televised interview.
"These are not crimes. We`re talking about paying a commission to someone in that country. Why, because those are the rules in that country," the former premier was quoted as saying by Bloomberg.
In February 2010, India had inked the deal to acquire the 12 three-engine AW-101 helicopters from AgustaWestland for IAF`s elite Communication Squadron, which ferries the President, PM and other VVIPs.
The deal came under the scanner of Italian agencies after allegations of kickback given in India surfaced.
The agencies arrested Orsi on Tuesday as part of their probe related to international corruption.
It is alleged that Orsi, who was heading the helicopter unit, when the deal was struck, was involved in the bribery.
Around EUR 50 million (Rs 362 crore approximately), about 10 percent of the deal, were alleged to have been given as bribes to ensure that the company won the contract.
Italian news agency ANSA quoted Berlusconi as saying that probes by Italian prosecutors into contracts Italian firms sign abroad were a form of "economic suicide".
"Everyone knows that as well as the tenders, agreements between governments are also involved," Berlusconi said.
He added: "The fact that there is the risk of magistrates intervening I consider to be economic suicide".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!