`British, German spies helping Syrian rebels`
Tehran: Spies from Britain and Germany are providing rebels in Syria with intelligence about the movements of Syrian troops, Iran`s state-run Press TV reported on Sunday.
According to the Iranian network, British daily Sunday Times quoted an unnamed Syrian official as saying that British spies, based in Cyprus, gather intelligence reports and then pass them on to Turkish and American sources.
The Turkish sources ultimately pass on the intelligence to the Syrian rebels.
The official said Britain has two military bases in Cyprus -- in Dhekelia and Akrotiri.
"British intelligence is observing things closely from Cyprus. The British are giving the information to the Turks and the Americans. The British monitor communications about movements of the government Army," the official was quoted as saying.
German weekly Bild am Sonntag also revealed that German spies, stationed off the Syrian coast and also active at a NATO base in Turkey, are providing the Syrian rebels with information about the movements of government forces.
It said agents from Germany`s foreign intelligence service operate on ships off the Syrian coast and use hi-tech devices that allow them to see movements of Syrian forces 600 km inside the country.
Earlier, British Foreign Secretary William Hague already confirmed that London was supplying Syrian rebels with body armour and medical and communication equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!