British MP criticises Syrian rebels for not ‘lifting finger for jihad’ in other Arab countries
London: British politician George Galloway has criticised opponents of the Syrian regime for not "lifting a finger for jihad" by challenging rulers in other countries including Saudi Arabia.
The Respect MP, who won a by-election to represent Bradford West in March, said he opposed critics of the Syrian regime because "their enemies are worse than them".
"What about their freedom in the other Arab countries? Are they ready to fight there? No, they are collaborating with these other Arab countries,” The Telegraph quoted Galloway, as saying.
“It is just strange to me that they are ready to kill thousands, maybe tens of thousands, in Syria but they will not lift a finger for jihad in other Arab countries which are, and have always been, on the path of treason towards the Palestinian people,” he added.
According to the paper, he questioned why there was no ``jihad`` in other Arab countries when those opposing Bashar al-Assad, the President of Syria, were "ready to spend an ocean of blood".
“There are Arab countries where there is no freedom or liberty at all, which have one-family rule, who even give the name of their family to their country but there is no jihad in such countries. But the jihad is in Syria and it seems those who are fighting it are ready to spend an ocean of blood to get their freedom,” he said.
Ron McKay, a spokesman for Galloway, however, said it was not clear what question had provoked the MP``s comments and he had been unable to speak to the MP to clarify what precisely he meant, the paper said.
"What he is saying is that in countries where there is no proper democracy, where the people are kept down, like in other Arab countries like Egypt, people should rise up. I think it is quite a reasonable thing to say,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days