Cargo ship sinks off China coast; eight killed
Beijing: A cargo ship sank off China`s
south-eastern coast on Saturday, drowning eight crew members and
leaving the other two missing.
A spokesman of the maritime rescue centre said by noon
rescuers had saved one person, recovered eight bodies, and
were still searching for the remaining two missing.
In all 11 persons were on board the ship at the time of
The Xinyuanshun 6 cargo ship, registered in Beihai of
China`s Guangxi, was carrying 5,000 tonnes of pottery clay to
the coastal Shandong province when it sank off the coast of
Chongwu in Fujian province at about 3 a m (local time), the
The vessel might have capsised after goods slid to one
side of its hold, he added.
Eleven boats and two helicopters were involved in the
rescue, battling strong winds and rough seas, the spokesman
The lone crew member rescued had been hospitalised, Xinhua
news agency reported.
Authorities are probing the cause of the sinking and have
sent an alert for an oil spill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him