Cargo ship sinks off China coast; eight killed
Beijing: A cargo ship sank off China`s
south-eastern coast on Saturday, drowning eight crew members and
leaving the other two missing.
A spokesman of the maritime rescue centre said by noon
rescuers had saved one person, recovered eight bodies, and
were still searching for the remaining two missing.
In all 11 persons were on board the ship at the time of
The Xinyuanshun 6 cargo ship, registered in Beihai of
China`s Guangxi, was carrying 5,000 tonnes of pottery clay to
the coastal Shandong province when it sank off the coast of
Chongwu in Fujian province at about 3 a m (local time), the
The vessel might have capsised after goods slid to one
side of its hold, he added.
Eleven boats and two helicopters were involved in the
rescue, battling strong winds and rough seas, the spokesman
The lone crew member rescued had been hospitalised, Xinhua
news agency reported.
Authorities are probing the cause of the sinking and have
sent an alert for an oil spill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO