Centre-left lawyer Ziad Bahaa Eldin to be named Egypt PM?
Zee Media Bureau
Cairo: Anti-Morsi protesters thronged Egyptian streets on Monday as the interim government said that a new Prime Minister was set to be announced.
The protests came in retaliation to the one demonstrated by Morsi`s supporters who have gathered in front of Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque in Cairo for more than a week, reported the BBC.
Tens of thousands of angry supporters of former president Mohamed Morsi chanting slogans like "down with military rule", took to the streets after Friday prayers demanding his reinstatement.
Morsi`s supporters had rallied towards the Republican Guards Club, where Morsi is believed to have been put "under guard".
At least 30 people were killed and more than 1,000 wounded in the resulting violence on Friday.
Egyptian military had deployed troops in Cairo and other places to beef up the security.
Interim president Adly Mansour was inclined to name centre-left lawyer Ziad Bahaa Eldin as PM and Mohamed ElBaradei as Vice President, the president`s media advisor Ahmed al-Muslimani told AFP.
The announcement was followed by scores of anti-Morsi protesters Egyptians rallying in support of the Army toppling former president.
If confirmed, Mansour has tried to find a technocrat without the baggage of ElBaradei, whose candidacy outraged Salafi Islamists in a loose coalition that backed president Mohamed Morsi`s overthrow by the military on Wednesday.
The Salafis say ElBaradei, viewed as an ardent secularist and top opponent to Islamist Morsi, would have been a divisive premier.
But the head of the Salafi Al-Nour party also objected to Bahaa Eldin, because the business lawyer used to belong to ElBaradei`s National Salvation Front coalition.
"We don`t object to (Eldin) personally, he is an economic pillar," Yunis Makhyun told the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television channel.
"We reject his candidacy because he belonged to the National Salvation Front," he said.
With AFP Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial