Chavez ‘gaining strength post-cancer surgery: Venezuelan VP
London: Venezuelan Vice-President Nicolas Maduro has said President Hugo Chavez is ‘gaining strength’ following complications after cancer surgery.
Maduro said Chavez had finished ‘the post-operative period’ and was entering a new phase of treatment.
Chavez had an operation for an undisclosed form of cancer in Cuba on 11 December and has not been heard or seen in public since, the BBC reports.
Maduro said he was optimistic Chavez would soon return to Venezuela.
According to the report, speaking in an interview with private Venezuelan television network Televen, Maduro said that Chavez’s ‘vital signs and organ function are stabilising’.
Maduro said he had spoken to the president on a number of occasions.
He said that Chavez was concentrating on his treatment, following the medical advice he was given ‘with discipline’.
Before leaving Venezuela for treatment in Cuba, Chavez, who has been in office since 1999, named Maduro as his choice to replace him should anything happen, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed