Chile takes seat at UNSC
Santiago: Chile took its seat at the United Nations Security Council(UNSC) as a non-permanent member of the international body till Dec 31, 2015.
It marked the fifth time the South American nation has been invited to sit on the council and help uphold the UN`s "principles of non-intervention and respect for international treaties", Chile`s foreign ministry said in a statement Wednesday.
During the 68th UN General Assembly held in New York, Chile`s bid to sit on the council received unanimous backing of fellow Latin American countries, as well as countries in other parts of the world, Xinhua reported.
In addition to Chile, other non-permanent members joining the council for the next two years included Chad, Lithuania and Nigeria.
Chile previously sat on the UNSC from 1952-1953, 1961-1962, 1996-1997 and 2003-2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP