Chile takes seat at UNSC
Santiago: Chile took its seat at the United Nations Security Council(UNSC) as a non-permanent member of the international body till Dec 31, 2015.
It marked the fifth time the South American nation has been invited to sit on the council and help uphold the UN`s "principles of non-intervention and respect for international treaties", Chile`s foreign ministry said in a statement Wednesday.
During the 68th UN General Assembly held in New York, Chile`s bid to sit on the council received unanimous backing of fellow Latin American countries, as well as countries in other parts of the world, Xinhua reported.
In addition to Chile, other non-permanent members joining the council for the next two years included Chad, Lithuania and Nigeria.
Chile previously sat on the UNSC from 1952-1953, 1961-1962, 1996-1997 and 2003-2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you