`China, India, Pakistan owe quite a bit to Tibet`
Gaya: Tibetan Prime Minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay has urged China to grant autonomy to Tibet in accordance with the legal and constitutional means it adopted while giving autonomous status to Macau and Hong Kong earlier.
Speaking to mediapersons on the sidelines of the Buddhist religious ceremony, Kalachakra, here, Sangay lashed out at China for its perceived ``bias`` in granting autonomy to regions within its territory.
"Why are the Tibetans not granted autonomy when they have granted it to Hong Kong, Macau and are willing to grant it for Taiwan? There lies the major question. I think that the indication seems to be, you all are Tibetans, you all are different, hence we cannot grant you autonomy," said Sangay.
Since the past several decades, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and Chinese government have been at loggerheads with each other over the issue of Tibet. China has ruled Tibet with an iron fist since its troops marched in 1950.
Underscoring Tibet`s geo-political significance, Sangay asserted that China as well as several Asian nations, including India, had been using the vast water resources available in Tibet since centuries.
"All of Asia, India, Pakistan and Thailand, China owes quite a bit to Tibet because they all are drinking Tibetan water. Nowadays you have to pay quite a bit of money to, you know, buy water and we have been providing free water for centuries. Not that we want to charge, but hopefully at least the Chinese population will realise that each time they drink water, they are drinking from Tibet and Chinese leadership will have second thoughts to say something nasty about us," added Sangay.
Tibet marks China`s western edge and is a vital link between China, south and central Asia. The region is dubbed as ``Asia`s Water Tower”,` since the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau is a crucial water source and store for China, whose unevenly distributed water resources are said to be in crisis.
Tibet`s glaciers and snow-fed highlands also feed Asia`s great rivers, the Brahmaputra, Mekong, Yangtze, Indus, Yellow and Salween.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!