China refutes `land grab` charges in Africa
Beijing: Refuting charges that it has been buying up land in Africa, China has called for "concrete" efforts to enable the continent`s agricultural sector develop in a sustainable way.
"China always seeks food self-sufficiency through its own domestic output," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei was quoted by Xinhua as saying during a regular press briefing Thursday.
China, instead of grabbing land in Africa, has been providing as much technical assistance as it can to help develop agriculture there and enhance the continent`s capability of using its natural resources and addressing issues such as climate change and food security, he said.
"Those efforts are welcomed by the African nations," he added.
Replying to a question on neo-colonialism, Hong said that "there is indeed neo-colonialism in Africa, but absolutely not from China".
He, however, did not explain which countries were the neo-colonialists.
"African countries have widely reached a consensus on this issue," Hong said, quoting South African President Jacob Zuma who had said that describing China`s engagement with Africa as "neo-colonialism" was untruthful.
"As an important strategic partner, China has made great contributions to the economic development and the betterment of people`s livelihood in South Africa," said Hong.
"Africa is victim to agricultural neo-colonialism," Hong said, adding that it is the common obligation of the international community to promote the sustainable development of Africa`s agricultural sector.
Some Chinese enterprises are carrying out small-scale cooperation through internationally-accepted business models with their partners in Africa, and sell their products to meet local demand, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt