China to develop Tibetan areas close to Arunachal
Beijing: China will develop Tibet`s picturesque Nyingchi prefecture, located close to Arunachal Pradesh border, into a major tourist hub with an investment of USD 63.5 million which included construction of 22 "well-off model villages".
More than CNY 400 million (USD 63.5 million) has been earmarked to develop tourism in "South eastern Tibet", by China`s southern Guangdong provincial government as partner assistance, official media here reported.
China refers Arunachal Pradesh as "Southern Tibet" which formed part of border dispute negotiations being held between Beijing and New Delhi.
"Nyingchi prefecture in southeastern Tibet, with abundant virgin forests, snow mountains, rivers and pastures, has potential golden tourism resources," state-run news agency Xinhua quoted an official in Tibet as saying yesterday.
Guangdong provincial government has designated four counties in Nyingchi prefecture to develop.
An international tourism town is planned for Nyingchi county in the prefecture, which is expected to attract investment of more than CNY two billion from government and enterprises, the official said.
Besides the tourism town project, 22 well-off model villages, each with an investment of CNY 4.5 million, will be built in three years to help local residents to provide family hotel services and increase their incomes, the official said.
Tibet in recent years has become a major tourism destination for mainland Chinese tourists.
In the first three months of this year, Tibet received 230,000 visitors, up 23.7 percent from a year earlier.
Tourism revenue in Tibet also rose 27.9 percent to reach CNY 229 million (about USD 37 million) during the period.
China has been pouring money into the development projects into the restive Tibet, which in the recent months witnessed about 40 suicides by Tibetans protesting heavy security controls as well as calls for the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.
A recent report said state-run Chinese banks have issued record high loans amounting to USD 8.22 billion in Tibet to spur regional development amid recurring suicides to protest the security restrictions in the Himalayan region.
By May, bank lending in Tibet had posted a consecutive month-on-month growth over the past 10 months, Xinhua said.
The banking authorities said banks in Tibet have been encouraged to lend to medium and small businesses, disadvantaged groups, infrastructure and development projects in rural areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly