Chinese scientist gets 13 yrs in jail for embezzling funds
Beijing: A Chinese scientist has been sentenced to 13 years in jail for misusing research funds to enjoy extramarital affairs after his estranged wife exposed his wrongdoings.
Duan Zhenhao, professor of the academy`s Institute of Geology and Geophysics, and his secretary Che Chunlan siphoned off 1.24 million yuan (USD 199,020) between 2002 and 2011 by faking travel expenses, the Beijing No 1 Intermediate People`s Court heard.
Prosecutors said the 54-year-old scientist himself also swindled 58,500 yuan in May, 2011, and Che alone embezzled 178,500 between 2003 and 2010, Beijing News reported.
For showing Duan how to make false claims for travel allowances and earning commissions upto 1.24 million yuan, Che got a lighter sentence of 10 years at the court.
Duan was also given a lenient penalty because he returned all his ill-gotten money, but he still appealed to the court ruling, the paper reported.
Duan`s wife, Cao Xia, revealed on the Internet in June and July, 2011 that her husband abused research funds to support two mistresses, one surnamed Lin and the other surnamed Zhang, and fathered an illegitimate daughter.
In a response, Duan claimed that he donated sperm to help friends.
Allegations about his dissolute personal life weren`t included in the court hearing, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Zee Media special report on International Fleet Review
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another