Chinese tourists allege discrimination in Maldives resort
Beijing: A luxury resort in Maldives has been accused of discriminating against Chinese tourists by not providing them with electric kettles and purposefully preventing them from eating instant noodles in their rooms.
A luxury resort in Maldives discriminated against Chinese tourists by not providing them with electric kettles, purposefully preventing them from eating instant noodles in their rooms, a former Chinese employee of the resort said.
Hot water kettles were removed from the rooms of Chinese guests, but not from rooms occupied by Europeans, because the resort`s manager believed that the Chinese were skipping meals in the restaurant, Zhao Jianke, a former guest service manager at the Beach House Iruveli (TBHI), a five-star resort in northern Maldives said.
Zhao and several other Chinese employees quit their jobs in February after security personnel "launched 24-hour surveillance of the Chinese employees, confiscated their phones, blocked their Internet and controlled their external communications," state run Global Times quoted Zhao as saying.
The resort said in a statement that some kettles were damaged by guests cooking food, according to the South China Morning Post.
"The Chinese market is very important for us and they are always warmly welcome at the Beach House Iruveli. As a result of the defamatory accusations against the Beach House Iruveli our legal representatives have been engaged," the statement said.
Zaho`s webpost which went viral on Chinese version of Twitter, triggering heated discussion on the Internet, with Web users who travelled to Maldives saying instant noodles were necessary as they were not accustomed to local dishes.
According to state-run Xinhua report, 2.30 lakh Chinese tourists visited Maldives in 2012, more than any other nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video