Chinese vessels enter waters disputed with Japan
Beijing: Chinese maritime surveillance ships on Thursday entered the waters around the Japanese controlled Diaoyu Islands to conduct "routine patrols" in the East China Sea, an official said here. The move is likely to further strain ties with Tokyo.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei confirmed on Thursday that Chinese maritime surveillance ships had entered the 12-nautical-mile territorial zone around the Diaoyu Islands, Xinhua reported.
"The Chinese maritime surveillance vessels conducted routine patrols in the territorial waters around China`s Diaoyu Islands to safeguard the country`s sovereignty on October 25," Hong said, adding that it was a normal activity for the Chinese surveillance ships to exercise jurisdiction over the waters.
Vessels have been spotted loitering in waters off the islands as the dispute has escalated over the last two months.
Hong made the remarks in response to a question after media reports had said a fleet of China`s maritime surveillance vessels entered the zone on Thursday.
Relations between the two countries have plummeted to their lowest level recently over their claims to the islands.
Japan claims it has occupied the islands since 1895, while China maintains the islands were recognised as Chinese as early as 1783.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest