Chuck Hagel meets Israeli Defence Minister, discusses Syria, Iran
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel met his Israeli counterpart Moshe Ya`alon, at the Pentagon and discussed, besides bilateral issues, the current situation in Syria and the elections in Iran.
"The leaders discussed the elections occurring today in Iran. They reaffirmed that the United States and Israel will continue to work together to counter threats posed by Iran and remain prepared for a range of contingencies," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said on Thursday.
Hagel and Ya`alon also discussed the ongoing violence in Syria and condemned the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime. "Both noted the complexities of the situation and resolved to remain in close contact and continue to share information to support the defence of Israel," he said.
This was Ya`alon first official visit to Washington since taking office earlier this spring. Ya`alon flew to the Pentagon in an MV-22 from Marine Corps Base Quantico. Hagel greeted him at the Pentagon.
In April, Hagel announced that the United States would make the V-22 available to Israel as part of an unprecedented package of advance military capabilities that will increase Israel`s qualitative military edge.
"At Quantico, the Minister and his delegation had the opportunity to experience some of the unique capabilities of the Osprey as Israel plans to incorporate the aircraft into future military planning," Little said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag
- UP polls: Congress main agenda is fighting corruption, not political parties: Raj Babbar
- Himachal Pradesh CM's wife to be further quizzed in PMLA case: ED to Delhi HC
- BSNL launches unlimited 3G plan for Rs 1,099, cuts rate by 50%
- No political appointments in pollution control boards: NGT