Clashes near Sao Paulo airport 27 days from World Cup
Sao Paulo: Dozens of protesters clashed with police, throwing fireworks and torching at least two vehicles near Sao Paulo`s airport, which has just opened a new international terminal ahead of the World Cup.
Police responded with stun grenades to disperse the estimated 50 protesters who demonstrated in the Sao Paulo suburb of Guarulhos to demand better living conditions, according to media reports.
"They looted fireworks and ignited them and threw them at police. There were no reports of injury but some vehicles were damaged," a police spokeswoman told AFP.
The protest occurred just 27 days ahead of the World Cup, with a substantial flow of international attendees slated to pass through the gates of the new Guarulhos airport terminal.
A series of protests have shaken Brazil ahead of the month-long tournament that will begin June 12.
Brazil faced a major test of its security preparations on Thursday as 10,000 demonstrators upset at the cost of the World Cup took to the streets in Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Manaus, Porto Alegre, Rio and Sao Paulo.
In business hub Sao Paulo, about 6,000 people staged several marches throughout the day, with demonstrations ending in vandalism and confrontations with police.
Meanwhile in the northeastern city of Recife, a partial strike by military police was lifted after youths took advantage of the opportunity to loot stores and go on a rampage.
Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo reassured reporters that demonstrations will decrease during the World Cup and the country will adopt a festive atmosphere.
About 600,000 foreign visitors are expected for the tournament, in addition to about three million Brazilians who will travel domestically for the matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy