Co-founder of ALS Ice Bucket Challenge drowns in US
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Philanthropist Corey Griffin, who co-founded the popular Ice Bucket challenge, has died from drowning, American media reported on Wednesday.
The "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge" involves dumping a bucket of ice over one’s head and aims to raise funds for research into Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
Griffin, 27, drowned after he jumped off the terrace of a two-story building into the harbour in Nantucket, an island off Massachussetts, the Boston Globe reported.
Griffin`s role was key in making the ice bucket challenge go viral on the Internet.
Since June, several thousand people worldwide have recorded themselves getting drenched, then posted the stunt online and challenged others to do the same, or pledge USD 100 to ALS research.
Many have done both, in an effort to raise millions of dollars for the ALS Association, which combats amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig`s disease.
Among those who have taken the challenge include Steven Spielberg, Justin Bieber, Bill Gates, George W Bush, Mark Zuckerberg, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Lopez, David Beckham, Neymar and Lionel Messi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing