Colombian colonel who took down Pablo Escobar gets prison
Bogota: A Colombian police colonel, who led the operation that took down notorious drug lord Pablo Escobar, has been sentenced to nine years in prison for ties to a paramilitary group.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday determined that retired colonel Hugo Aguilar had been elected governor of the northwest Santander department in 2003 with the support of the United Self-Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC) paramilitary group.
The right-wing organisation, whose 31,000 combatants were demobilised in 2006, is accused of carrying out killings and other rights abuses in a secret war against leftist guerrillas.
In 2011, Colombia`s inspector general, who oversees the conduct of public officials, said Aguilar was ineligible to serve in public office for 20 years for promoting and collaborating with the AUC.
According to ex-paramilitary chief Edgar Cobos, who went by the alias Diego Vecino, Aguilar "joined the AUC`s political project" at a summit of paramilitary leaders that he attended with other politicians.
One of the other politicians present, former senator Luis Alberto Gil, was sentenced to seven years in prison and has already regained freedom.
Seven other provincial governors elected in 2003 were sentenced to prison for courting AUC support in areas where the paramilitary group had influence.
Aguilar commanded the elite police operation that killed Escobar on December 2, 1993, after an intense, years-long search aided by the United States.
Escobar was the head of the Medellin cartel which dominated cocaine trafficking from Colombia to the United States in the 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city