Colombian rebel faction defies ceasefire
Bogota: A group of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, rebels attacked the police station at a northwestern Colombian town, an assault that comes less than a month after the guerrilla group`s leadership declared a unilateral two-month truce.
Authorities Saturday reported the gunfire attack in the town of Murindo, although National Police spokespersons told EFE they would not provide details for the time being.
The government secretary of Antioquia province, Santiago Londono, told Caracol Radio that the attack lasted 45 minutes and that no casualties or damage were reported.
Media reported, however, that several people were treated for nervous attacks at an area hospital.
"The FARC`s 34th Front, which is present in the area of the Atrato Medio (river), has carried out 10 attacks on the town of Murindo over the past two years," Londono said.
The aggressors are a "small faction of that front" who, though they only direct their attacks against the police station, "generate fear in the population".
On Nov 19, the FARC`s leadership declared a unilateral two-month cease-fire that took effect the following day, a move that was not reciprocated by the Colombian government.
The truce comes amid peace talks in Havana between the rebels and a Colombian government negotiating team.
The FARC`s 36th Front, active in much of Antioquia, said following the unilateral truce announcement in the Cuban capital and after knocking down two power pylons that they carried out those actions because they were unaware of the cease-fire order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon