Colombian rebel faction defies ceasefire
Bogota: A group of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, rebels attacked the police station at a northwestern Colombian town, an assault that comes less than a month after the guerrilla group`s leadership declared a unilateral two-month truce.
Authorities Saturday reported the gunfire attack in the town of Murindo, although National Police spokespersons told EFE they would not provide details for the time being.
The government secretary of Antioquia province, Santiago Londono, told Caracol Radio that the attack lasted 45 minutes and that no casualties or damage were reported.
Media reported, however, that several people were treated for nervous attacks at an area hospital.
"The FARC`s 34th Front, which is present in the area of the Atrato Medio (river), has carried out 10 attacks on the town of Murindo over the past two years," Londono said.
The aggressors are a "small faction of that front" who, though they only direct their attacks against the police station, "generate fear in the population".
On Nov 19, the FARC`s leadership declared a unilateral two-month cease-fire that took effect the following day, a move that was not reciprocated by the Colombian government.
The truce comes amid peace talks in Havana between the rebels and a Colombian government negotiating team.
The FARC`s 36th Front, active in much of Antioquia, said following the unilateral truce announcement in the Cuban capital and after knocking down two power pylons that they carried out those actions because they were unaware of the cease-fire order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened