Colombian rebels recruited teenagers: Activist
Bogota: Colombia`s FARC guerrillas pulled at least 13 teenagers out of boarding schools in the southern province of Putumayo and forced them to join their ranks, a human rights activist told EFE.
The youngsters were taken from schools in a rural area near Puerto Guzman, sociologist and Andean Parliament member Gloria Ines Florez said by telephone from Putumayo, which borders Ecuador.
Fighters from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, burst into the schools a few days ago and left with at least 13 adolescents.
"They are students between the ages of 13 and 15, and the majority of them are girls," Florez said.
She said she learned of the forced recruitment from her contacts in the area, where the boarding schools - a recent phenomenon - "have become places of protection for school boys and girls, given the serious conditions of the armed conflict”.
Youngsters at the boarding schools have been relatively insulated from battles between rebels and security forces, the threat of landmines and forcible recruitment, Florez said on Friday, calling on the FARC and other parties to the conflict to respect international humanitarian law.
The FARC, now thought to number some 8,000 fighters, has battled a succession of Colombian governments since the mid-1960s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know