‘Cops stopped Strauss Kahn in infamous Paris park’
Paris: Disgraced former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was reportedly stopped by police five years ago in a Paris park notorious as a night-time haunt for prostitutes, France`s interior minister said in a newspaper interview to be published on Sunday.
But Claude Gueant dismissed as nonsense suggestions that Strauss-Kahn was the victim of a conspiracy and told the Journal Du Dimanche that it was "scandalous" to claim he had been spied on by French police.
Asked about reports that police stopped Strauss-Kahn in Paris`s Bois de Boulogne in December 2006, Gueant said: "Yes, I`ve heard of this story in which Mr Strauss-Kahn was stopped in the Bois de Boulogne by the officers in charge of the area`s surveillance during a routine check.
"But there was no action taken over this matter. He wasn`t framed by the police. He was not being followed. After all, it`s not the police`s fault if he was there that night," he said.
Paying for sexual relations is not illegal in France and prostitutes` clients are not prosecuted.
A lawyer for the Socialist politician widely known as DSK condemned what he charged was a politically-motivated allegation.
Strauss-Kahn was forced to resign as International Monetary Fund chief after he was arrested in New York in May over accusations he raped a hotel maid, charges that have since been dropped.
He does does not deny a sexual act took place in the Sofitel suite but insists it was consensual.
He had been expected to beat President Nicolas Sarkozy in France`s 2012 presidential election but the New York case and subsequent claims of sexual misconduct in France were enough to end his political ambitions.
"I am shocked when I read that entire conspiracy theories are being concocted just because Mr Strauss-Kahn lost his phone," Gueant said, referring to an article that suggested the former IMF chief had been set up.
"Mr Strauss-Kahn was not being spied on by the French police, it is scandalous to suggest that today," he told the paper.
The maid, Nafissatou Diallo, has been accused of being part of a conspiracy to smear the French politician and a book by a French journalist insinuates that she may have stolen an IMF-issued Blackberry mobile phone.
In France, Strauss-Kahn`s name has been linked to a judicial investigation into a prostitution ring operating out of luxury hotels in the northern French city of Lille and a string of Belgian brothels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation