CPC Congress to give direction to reform: Chinese daily
Beijing: The 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) is crucial as it not only concerns the leadership change but "the direction of reform and major national policies in the next decade", said a state-run Chinese daily.
It begins next Thursday.
"The preparation for this event has reached its climax. Meticulous preparations are required due to the vast attention paid to the Congress...Over one million volunteers in Beijing will join the effort," said an article in the Op-Ed section of the Global Times.
"As for whether China should be more relaxed toward the Congress and not be so cautious about the preparations, this is a matter for China`s social governance and is not related to the core content of the 18th Party Congress," it added.
The daily stressed that this Congress is crucial, "as it not only concerns the leadership change but the direction of reform and major national policies in the next decade. Its importance has even triggered some nerves in some specific sectors".
"It`s wrong to say that only officials care about the Party Congress as the public also places high expectations upon it. Public discussion about the event has been commonplace since the beginning of the year, and even the pace of grass-roots economic and social activities has been tuned in to the Congress. The vast majority of Chinese people hope to see the Congress go well," it pointed out.
The article said that to create a favourable environment for a smooth Congress is a natural thing. "This is part of China`s political, social and cultural traditions."
It went on to say that Party Congress is to be held in the Internet era and "this is a new experience".
"It is normal that various suggestions and discussions be offered up during the Congress. The intensity of these expressions of opinion is proportional to the importance of the event," the daily said.
"The content of the Congress is vital...A diversified society will bring constant changes to public opinion and both officials and the public should adapt to this reality. The direction for China`s development will remain unchanged and the cohesion brought by the Party Congress will be more critical than ever. For now, the Congress undoubtedly is at the centre of this country`s public life," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal
- OP Jaisha's ordeal: Marathon runner demands enquiry after AFI says she refused to avail energy drinks