Cuba heavy metal band seeks asylum in United States
Miami: Six members of a Cuban heavy metal group requested political asylum after touching down in the United States, a band member said.
The musicians, who left Havana on Sunday night, touched down in Miami in the early hours of Monday morning en route to a concert in Oakland, California.
"It`s not something we had thought about until we got here," said yesterday bass player Fanny Tachin, confirming reports of the request which first appeared on Cafe Fuerte, a blog catering to Cuban immigrants in Florida.
Tachin said members of the band `Hipnosis` had lodged requests after lead singer Ramiro Pupo decided to seek asylum.
"Once we saw that we all decided to follow," Tachin said.
Tachin said the musicians had "sentimental, family and economic" reasons for seeking asylum, noting that Pupo`s daughter already lived in Miami while the mother of another band member was also a US resident.
Thousands of Cubans try to flee their homeland every year for the United States, where they are guaranteed political asylum.
Tachin said the six band members planned to pursue their careers in the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble