Dead Boston bomber suspect was in Austria
Vienna: The elder of the two brothers allegedly behind the Boston marathon bombings twice attended boxing training events in Austria, the interior ministry said Tuesday.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, shot dead on Friday by US police, spent a week in Salzburg in 2007 and a week in Innsbruck in 2009, the ministry said, confirming a media report.
According to the Kronen-Zeitung daily, Tsarnaev and his brother and alleged accomplice Dzhokhar, 19, charged on Monday over his alleged role, have relatives in the Austrian city of Graz.
Ministry spokesman Karl-Heinz Grundboeck said the fact Tamerlan Tsarnaev "spent a short time in Austria, explicitly for boxing ... gives no reason for concern in Austria".
The twin bomb attacks on April 15 in the US city of Boston killed three people and left some 200 injured. The brothers, originally from Chechnya, had been living legally in the United States for more than a decade.
Investigators are probing a six-month trip made by the elder brother in 2012 to Russia`s troubled regions of Dagestan and Chechnya, and whether he was radicalised or trained there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?